initiators and curators
Dunja Bialas, director and curator of UNDERDOX, is the editor of the online-film-magazine "artechock" since 2000. In 2002 she was assigned member of the advisory board for the international documentary film festival Munich (Dok.Fest). She is a jury member in various international film festivals. Together with Bernd Brehmer she founded UNDERDOX in 2006. Until 2013 she was the curator of the International Competition of Dok.Fest Munich. Since 2013 she is member of the executive committee of the Association of German Film Critics.
Bernd Brehmer, director and curator of UNDEROX, is one of the programming directors of Munich based Werkstattkino since 1995. He established the internationally esteemed film archive and contributes to several festivals as programming advisor. In 1991 he founded the "24" film magazine and was general manager of the "Exit distribution agency" from 2003 until 2006 that focused on documentary films as well as independent german productions. Since 1998 he regularly contributes writings on film for the "Süddeutsche Zeitung". Together with Dunja Bialas he founded UNDERDOX in 2006.
Insa Wiese, short film programme. Insa Wiese studied Arts and German Language and Literature at the University of Oldenburg. There, she discovered her passion for movies and especially for shorts, she implemented her own filmlets and organized together with friends the small short film festival zwergWERK. After having worked several years for the Hamburg International Short Film Festival, she's working since 2009 as the head of the International Short Film Week Regensburg.
UNDERDOX – documents and experiments
UNDERDOX is: meeting the changing states of documentary evidence, in feature film, video art and documentary itself. It isn't a matter of documenting reality, it is the matter of experimenting "film" on the pitch of reality.
UNDERDOX has been founded in 2006 by film critic Dunja Bialas and theater operator and film collector Bernd Brehmer (Werkstattkino). The international film festival for documents and experiments shows cross-over works putting together the different genres of documentary and experimental film, fiction and artistic film. Since 2014 the biennial competition VIDEODOX shows a selection of German video art (award: 1000 euros).
Submissions to all the sections (feature films, artist in focus, focus on a film country, lost & found, short experimental programme, short documentary programme) can be done informally on sending an online link of the submitted film to firstname.lastname@example.org, including some words why would you think your film would fit to the UNDERDOX festival.
1. We show equally documentary, experimental, essay and fiction films and their conceivable intermediate forms.
2. We project movies in
their original format. 16mm, 35mm and digital formats are equally
welcome. We don't prefer any cinematic format or would exclude any
movie because of its screening format.
3. We embrace overlong feature films. In times where television series are presented at film festivals as if they contribute as a cinematic format, the original cinematographic long form applies to us as a committed statement for our programme.
4. We don't care about film competitions. We
however care about the internal architecture and dialogue
developed by the compiled film program. Lines of flight, branches,
junctions and echoes act on the single film as a reinforcer of its
5. External parameters are not crucial to the programming. Relevance, production country, film length, big names are in themselves no criteria.
6. It is not about getting the biggest audience (and every year bigger), nor about "industry". Important is presenting the chosen films to an interested, informed audience, that however curious for new experiences. Our programming contains the propositions for a different cinematography.
7. Festivals need multilaterality. Festivals present exhibition platform for films, without the films festivals would turn out to be obsolete. Neither the production or world sales companies, film directors nor the festival people should therefore exploit the other side. We pay screening fees within reasonable bounds of our low budget and expect the World Sales Companies to comply with our requests.
8. We have a strict door policy. We consider the movies on the big screen, either at festivals or together at our programming meetings. To be part of the UNDERDOX program has to withstand our consideration that have been trained since years as filmmakers, cinema operators or film critics.
9. We don't need premieres. We oppose the common premieres' policy of festivals, the selected films only has to be presented as a Munich premiere.
10. We are no mavericks. We maintain partnerships and friendship to other festivals with a similar program philosophy. We are in exchange with the Viennale, the International Film Festival Rotterdam, the Festival of Marseille, the Forum of Berlinale, with Bildrausch in Basel, and the Nuremberg Human Rights Film Festival.
Blogs and film magazines
artechock Filmmagazin – Munich film magazine with festival reports ad film reviews (in German)
Die Bleiwüste – Texts, thoughts and debates around documentary themes (in German)
Cargo Film / Medien / Kultur – Web magazine of the Cargo magazine (in German)
Cargo-Container – Blog of the Cargo magazine (in German)
critic.de – Film magazine with detailed reviews of UNDERDOX films (in German)
Missing Image / Feed Agregator – Blog about films we are missing (in English)
New Filmkritik – Blog with detailed text archive (in German)
Independencia – Blog with detailed festival reports (in French)
Parallelfilm – Blog of filmmaker Christoph Hochhäusler (in German)
Revolver – Blog of the magazine of the same title (in German)
Sigi Götz Entertainment – Fanzine around filmmaker Sig(g)i Götz-Rothemund and other personalities of hidden film historyFestivals
FID Marseille – Festival International du Documentaire de Marseille
IFFR – International Filmfestival Rotterdam
Indielisboa – International Independent Film Festival Lissabon
Les Inattendus – Festival de cinéma (très) indépendant, Lyon
Pesaro – Internationales Festival des Neuen Films
Torino – Torino Film Festival
Viennale – Vienna International Filmfestival
the festival's artists
Ossi Fink – artist 2016
Cora Piantoni – photographer 2007-2012
Axel Recht – photographer 2013
Nicola Müller – artist 2014
Roll – photo artist 2015